introducing my bujo

5:42 PM


If you don't know what bullet journaling is, I have a question for you:
Have you been on the internet at all in the past ten years?

I'm just kidding . . . (or am I?) Bullet journaling is this really cool concept that swept Pinterest and filled it with artsy photos. If you want to gaze at really artsy bullet journals, just Google it. But I don't recommend it -- it WILL make you feel bad, unless you're extremely artsy.

Anywho: bullet journaling is a way to keep a planner while making it anything you want in the world! It can be a cut-and-dry planner while also being a sketchbook, "brain dump", inspiration/idea keeper -- anything and everything. If you'd like to get down to basics and see what it's really all about, click here.

When I started researching in preparation of starting a bullet journal, I was instantly overwhelmed. There were so many setups and articles out there, and I just wanted someone to sit me down and tell me what to do. There's a problem with that, though:

The bullet journal has absolutely no rules. Like I said before, it can be anything you'd like to use it for. However, it is helpful to have a step-by-step example to look after, so I'm going to be showing you guys my setup for 2017.

{some things to know about my BuJo}
1. I am also a rookie. I'm starting my first ever bullet journal on January 1st, and even if I've done an extensive amount of research and puzzled my BuJo out patiently, I'm not an expert on the crazy world of bullet journaling.
2. I'm a perfectionist who isn't perfect. I have bunches of eraser marks everywhere, since I journal in pencil, so don't judge. I've already torn out four pages of my notebook. XD
3. This is just me. You can tweak the way I've done things or do something completely different.
4. I have a normal notebook. I really want a dotted/gridded Leuchtturm or Moleskine, but for now I'm using this random lined notebook from who knows where.

The beginning basics of the bullet journal are your index and future log. These are the framework for your planner/calendar. The future log is for things that you need to plan in advance, and the index groups pages about the same topic together.

I also have a key in my bullet journal, which I use to determine what the tasks and notes I jot down are for.
my key (first page in my bujo)
my index
a picture of my future log


This is just a little extra something I added. I wanted to map out things to do in 2017, so I dedicated a few pages to do that. As you can see, I made a list of events and goals at the top. At the bottom, I made tiny little trackers to see how my words written and blog followers progressed -- plus a little month-by-month tracker, just for fun. :)


On the pages following my 2017 plans, I made a few notes and goals for January. On the top section I jotted down a few goals and post ideas for January (blurred bc you guys don't get to see them until they're posted, haha). The "followers" number is 25, by the way, not 5. XD 

I also made a mini word count tracker for the month and made a list of things to read. Yes, I read Shakespeare. Shakespeare is awesome. Hamlet, anyone?
On the next two pages for January, I made a few trackers. These two pages could very well be my favorite out of all the ones I've filled so far. This one is a "daily habit" tracker -- routine things like brushing my teeth, flossing, doing my daily devotion/quiet time, etc.
This page is a sleep tracker/graph. I have it laid out so I can see exactly how many hours of sleep I'm getting over the month. I really don't know what I made this for, but I really like it. Graphs for the win! :D

thank you guys SOSOSO much for lasting through that photo-heavy post! do you have a bullet journal? what's a goal that you have for 2017? leave me a comment down below!

love, sarah

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

35 comments

  1. Wow your journal is gorgeous! I have been bullet journaling for a year now, and I am excited to start bullet journaling for 2017!

    ~Liv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aksljdksl thank you sososososo much, Liv! Me too. <33

      Delete
  2. I started a bullet journal last month - i love it!! I feel so much more organized and i actually get the things done that need to be done - I find I reach my goals more too when I have to actually record it. Such as my writing - I feel guilty writing that big '0' so I write. xD it's rly great - i love your blogging goal graphs!! I need to try this in mine - I love it bc nothing is restricting you from trying new things with every new month. i have an actual graph box one which I love. I've found I like the daily better - also, drinking water goals is great and has helped me a lot.

    good luck on your journal, girl - MEET THOSE GOALS

    sarah » the introverted extrovert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESYESYES bullet journaling is awesome! and more yesyesyes's to everything you said. :) THANK YOU SO MUCH MY NAME TWIN <33

      Delete
  3. Wow, your BuJo is so pretty, I love the snaps you took. Right now,mine is pretty ugly but my next bullet journal is gonna be better! Hoping to make a 2017 goal page soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEP thank you soso much Mahriya! I bet yours is lovely! :D <33

      Delete
  4. ASDFGHJKJH THIS IS SO AESTHETIC AND PRETTY <3333 Thank you for sharing it with us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohmygoodness Abbiee this comment made me so happy thankyouthankyou <33 You're so welcome!

      Delete
  5. i love this post! i've been thinking of doing this for a while now, but i can never stay with any kind of journaling for more than a week! (i'm not patient enough) this post really makes me want to try though!!
    your handwriting is SO PRETTY, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eeep thanks, Madeline! I totally feel you . . . but the aesthetics were too much for me to resist trying bullet journaling. XD THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU! <33

      Delete
  6. Somebody help me. I seriously stink at organizing. XD

    Bullet journaling sounds AMAZING! I pretty much organize my life with a to-do list I make every night on my phone and schedule important events or posting dates on my computer's calendar, but I seriously need to get a gameplan for this year. XD

    You are so organized and awesome! Your journal looks absolutely fantabulous! Have any tips for a wanna-be organizer (but totally a wing-it kind of girl) like me? XD

    •Madison•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Bullet journaling IS awesome -- you should definitely give it a try! The way you stay organized sounds really efficient too, though. :D Aww, thankyouthankyouthankyou, Madi! <33

      Hmm . . . I would definitely list your top priorities every morning for that day. You can go wherever you want from there -- bullet journaling, to-do lists, etc. -- but knowing your priorities really helps me decide what's important to do. :) Hope that helps! <3

      Delete
    2. *I can't believe I'm finally replying to this this late XD*

      You're welcome! And thank you SO much! :D

      Delete
  7. GAH SARAH YOUR BUJO IS SO PRETTY!!! Mine looks awful, LOL. *shrugs* But I'm learning, so hopefully next month is better. *looks hopeful but doubts self anyway*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAH GRACE THANKYOUSOMUCHHH! Aw, I'm sure yours actually looks amazing and you're just overly critical . . . XD Yeah, I experimented in another notebook before I finally kind of established how I do things. ;)

      Delete
    2. YOU'RE WELCOME!!! Haha, well thank ya. :) That's a brilliant idea! I should have done that...XD XD XD

      Btw...do you have any knowledge about WP themes? I'm searching for one but I'm not really sure what's out there. I like the current one, but idk...

      Delete
    3. :)))
      Hmm . . . well, I really like the way that Lovecraft can look. It can be hard to customize, but it looks really nice! An example is thegirlwithcoffe.wordpress.com (only one "e").

      Delete
    4. Okay, thanks! That theme is really pretty. :)

      Delete
  8. yAY FOR BUJOS!!!

    *sweats profusely because gridded notebooks*

    *sweats even more because we can't go to Target*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY FOR SISTERS TOO! *hugs*
      but seriously.
      gridded notebooks.
      and target.
      *melts into a despairing puddle*

      Delete
  9. So I guess my question is how does a bullet journal differ from a regular journal???? Are you supposed to do every entry in bullet-list form?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! While I'm not sure if there's a technical answer, my take on it is that bullet journaling allows you to keep a planner while accommodating all your needs. For a "to-do" list type of thing, it uses a system called rapid logging, which is meant for you to be able to see your daily needs at a glance (at least that's how I use it). While I find traditional logging more of a daily review or jotting-down-of-memories, bullet journaling is a planner combined with whatever needs you have -- if you need to plan a blog post, you can turn the page an draft it; if you want to doodle, you can make room for it in your weekly spread (a weekly overview planner-type thing). On my part, I plan on including yearly, monthly, and weekly planning spreads, along with concert and book reviews. :)

      Delete
    2. Sooo... it kind of is a "future journal" - like a planner-meets-journal???

      Also meant to say that I love your idea of having a key. May have to steal that from you! And your handwriting is so small and neat and pretty! #jealous

      Delete
    3. Hmmm . . . kind-of-not-really. Google the words "artsy bullet journal" and you'll see just how wildly different it is from a normal journal. :) It's less of just looking back and more of present and future. I can't explain it . . . just Google it. XD

      Delete
  10. I LOVE YOUR BULLET JOURNAL. I would buy something like that from you haha!! It is so great!

    I know what you mean by saying that if you google artsy journals you'll feel like yours is nothing. Been there lol

    May this year be wonderful for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Vanessa thankyouthankyou! <33 And yes about the artsy journals XDD

      Thanks so much! The same for you! <3

      Delete
  11. Your bullet journal is perfection!! I can't wait to see more posts on it. I'm obsessed with them (bullet journals) and I don't even have one xD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh thank you so much, Hayley!! And YES BULLET JOURNALS ARE SO AWESOME. XD

      Delete
  12. oh my goodness gracious HOW HAVE I NOT DISCOVERED YOUR BLOG YET?! This is... this is so gorgeous. I think I'm going to settle down here for awhile, because I also see a Hamilton reference in your comment section thing down below. (hamilton rocks.)

    I'm trying not to get bullet-journal envy as I look at yours. IT'S SO PRETTY and minimalistic and awesome. I love the idea of doing a word tracker for the entire year -- I'm totally stealing that. xD

    So excited to have found your lovely blog! <3

    katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH THANK YOU SO MUCH KATIE! You're amazing. <3 (and yes hamilton is awesome. *nods*)

      Eeek thank you infinitely much for your sweet words! That just made my day. PLEASE DO STEAL IT. :D

      Delete
  13. this seems cool! Its the first time I'm hearing about bullet journaling (yes maybe I've been living under a rock with no internet service) but it definitely seems like something I'd like to try, I know it'd get me a lot more organised (a trait which I do not posses) soooo yeah thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Isabella!!! Bullet journaling is so awesome -- you should totally try it! *nods* And you're so welcome. Thank YOU for taking the time to comment! <33

      Delete
  14. STINK. Right when I find your awesome blog, I see you are going on a break. :( This saddens my heart. Oh well, I'm gonna comment anyway-- you almost called us readers "dragon" in your about page. Anyways, I tried starting a bullet journal this year too! It lasted about two weeks then I got lazy (oops). I'm gonna subscribe, so I'll get notified when you get back on. I'm happy I found your blog... now I'll just go read the rest of your posts xD

    Jazzy @ http://thrivinghope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm so glad you like my blog (even if I'm on Avery long hiatus, lol)! Haha, I had The Hobbit on the brain the day I wrote that . . . I should probably change it, since that was from months and months ago. Oh well. XD

      Haha! I'm still bullet journaling, to my own surprise . . . I seriously thought I would give up on it, but it's progressed a lot instead. Thank you so much for your comment, Jazzy! ❤️

      Delete

hey hey! i love you guys' comments, so whether we're talking about shakespeare, marvel movies, or hamilton (i mean: HAMILTON), feel free to leave me one or a million!